Friday, November 15, 2013

11.14.13

About 9:40am Thursday morning, Moray and I were just getting out of the car to head to Chemistry class when I received a text from my sister.  It was the simple words that our Puppy Program Manager called and our mom was on the phone with her right then.  There is one thing every puppy raiser dreads when they have a puppy in Advanced Training, and that is a phone call.  

All I knew as Moray and I walked into the building was that it was indeed the dreaded call, and that it had been decided that Dante will be released from Professional Training.  I was still waiting with a promise that my mom would call me as soon as she was off the phone.  I thought I was holding it together fairly well.  My best friend was waiting for the previous class to let out, and as soon as she saw me knew something was not right.  She hugged me and the tears that started then came and went for the rest of the day. 

Dante is Dante and there is no one that can change that.  Our PPM told us that although Dante's behavior and commands are impeccable on-leash, as soon as he thinks he can get away with something, he gets a mind of his own.  Dante is off the charts smart, very independent-minded, and needs a strong hand to manage him and give him the discipline he needs.  She told us that when she told his trainers Dante was our first puppy, they could not believe we were able to teach my hard-headed boy all that we had.  Not that I want that to come across as bragging or anything like that, but she assured us it was just his personality, and there was not much we could have done differently to curb this behavior.  

She told us that Dante's release was a hard decision for them as well.  They had been doing a lot of sound work evaluating him for the Hearing Dog program, and he was doing fantastic and excelling in it.  The decision boiled down to the fact that Dante is just not trustworthy enough for placement.

Even though I have seen this coming for some time, it is hard news to accept.  For almost two years, we have worked and striven toward the dream that Dante would become a Service Dog.  There have been many ups and a few downs along this journey of puppy raising, and it is extremely hard to let go of that dream.  Being honest, it is hard to realize that Dante's future is no longer in "limbo" with the hope he could still make a placement.  It is final, and even though he will have a great life, and still will share his love and laughter in different ways, the passing of this dream for him is hard to come to terms with.

While we are still figuring out a travel plan and agenda for Dante, we know he will be coming back to spend life as a spoiled rotten "Change of Career" pet; me as his forever family, and he as the very first dog I will ever call my own.

8 comments:

  1. Awwww - hugs Hannah. Him and you have been on my mind lots lately. He's found his perfect path and now gets to help make a difference helping train all those future little service dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really tough news and I'm sorry to hear it! But know that Dante is meant for other things. Therapy dog and furever pet is where he is meant to be. And think all those days and hours you worked with him, have him ready for both! I hope time heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that hurts your heart, but how exciting that he will be back with you! He is such a smart doggie and you are a wonderful handler; can't wait to see what path is ahead for him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I've said, I'm very sorry to hear this news...but I am also very excited to have more Dante to hear about and see pictures of :) Novel and I wish him safe travels home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear this news! Best of luck to you and Dante. I can't wait to read about the reunion. I know you both will be thrilled to see each other :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hannah, I can feel your disappointment. Now is the time to trust that things always turn out exactly as they should. Sometimes whether we think so or not. Dante is meant to be with you. YOU are his forever family (and that in itself is wonderful and exciting!) You did such a great job with him and although this wasn't the path you thought he was going to take, it is the perfect path for him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry Dante didn't make it you did a great job with him. I know its sad when you work really hard with a difficult pup and they don't make it but they make great loyal pets. I had one who is like Dante and he didn't make it through guide dogs for the blind program but he is now my forever boy who i enjoy a lot. enjoy having Dante home with you forever im sure he will love pet life

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just read your post and am sorry about your news. Our first one didn't pass and he is now 8 years old and I can't imagine our family without him. And yes, he is the best of co-raisers and makes my job PRing much easier. From Dante's perspective he will be happiest with your family, and I am glad you are accepting him back for always. Take care, Hannah

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers! Please leave a comment!