Saturday, April 21, 2012

Busy Weekend

 Dante and I have had an especially busy weekend these last two days.  


Yesterday, we went to a park where a "field day" was taking place for the elementary-aged kids, and my jump rope team was going to help and show the kids some stuff.  Dante came too, and did extremely well.  It lasted longer then intended, so Dante's lunch was about an-hour-and-a-half late, but he was a trooper.  He was tired, but he never got cranky.  I guess it's a good thing that he gets used to his schedule getting changed up. 


Dante is such an easy puppy to take out.  He loves to explore with you, but he also settles really well.  He spent a lot of time hanging out under a picnic table, and didn't even pay attention to spilled food.  He is also getting really good with his people-greeting, although he still tries to lick, he is great about checking in with me when he's getting pet.

Dante under a table ignoring some dropped cheese a foot from his head.
 
This morning Dante had puppy class.  I don't know why this is the first post about class, but I guess I forgot.  Dante has been doing really well, but when I got him up this morning I knew there was something off.  I think after such an exhausting day yesterday, he was just having an "off" day. 

Puppy class has been really good, and our trainer is great about understanding what we do differently.  But not being in a CCI specific class has been a little challenging.  Just trying to filter the information we're getting, and substituting the commands we use through what is different in how we are teaching Dante has been pretty mentally draining. 



My mom worked him for the first time during class today, and I was planning on getting some good pictures, but ended up getting some not-so-good pictures between the bad lighting, and helping "deal" with Dante. 

We start with play time.  Dante is always intrigued with this little puppy, and she stands her ground:


Dante, Scout and Max
Dante and Scout

After this, Dante spent some "quality time" trying to rub off his gentle leader:


Then it was on to working through the tunnel.  My mom lured him in.  He was not afraid, but he didn't know what he was supposed to do, so he turned around.  Then I got on the other end and called him through, and he was fine with that.

This was his fourth time through, and he did it like a pro!
After this, he did some good "sits" and "downs" even with temper tantrums thrown in throughout.



When we got home, Dante (and I) took a much-needed nap, then spent most of the afternoon outside with the family, playing fetch, practicing "here," running, and getting out his wiggles.  

Dante looking rather grown up and regal.  Taken by Rebecca.

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I am a raiser for GEB and I have a blog, but it's privite so I have to add your email address. Could I have your email address so I can add you? I was also homeschooled my whole life and just graduated last year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. It can be frustrating not having CCI classes available. However, it is still great exposure for the pups! I usually work with my pups off to the side on CCI commands and work with the group here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet, good boy you have! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love to hear from our readers! Please leave a comment!